Solid State Transformer (SST)
A solid-state transformer (SST) is a device that combines high-powered semiconductor components, traditional high-frequency transformers, and control circuitry to give power distribution networks a great amount of flexibility. When you add in some communication, the whole package is referred to as a smart transformer.
SST technology can step up or down AC voltage levels in the same way as a typical transformer can, but it has a few key advantages. These include:
- allow two-way power flow
- input or output AC or DC power
- actively change power characteristics such as voltage and frequency levels
- improve power quality (reactive power compensation and harmonic filtering)
- provide efficient routing of electricity based on communication between utility provider, end-user site, and other transformers in the network
- greatly reduce the physical size and weight of individual transformer packages with equivalent power ratings
When SSTs are introduced, the way utility power is distributed will be drastically altered. They’ll also play a key role in the Smart Grid of the future, allowing it to transport power from any source to any destination in the most efficient way possible.
In this section, we’ll look at the Solid State Transformer’s stated system functionality first, followed by the proposed system configuration with various degrees of control for the intended system to match the necessary functionality.
Solid State Transformer (SST) Market Outlook – 2028
The global solid state transformer market was valued at $145.5 million in 2020 and is projected to reach $468.0 million by 2028, growing at a CAGR of 19.9% from 2021 to 2028. It is also known as a smart transformer, is an advanced type of transformer that incorporates various semiconductor components, control circuits, and another high-frequency transformer. Compared to traditional transformers, it enhances the quality of the power by controlling voltage fluctuations.
Some significant players of the global solid-state transformer market are Cooper Power Systems, Siemens AG, ABB Ltd., General Electric Co., Alstom SA, Schneider Electric, and Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, among others
Advancements in the plan of SSTs that incorporate different designs and parts is expected to help working players in sending off new items. Such new items will help in expanding the piece of the pie of strong state transformers in the standard transformer market. The strong state innovation will profit from innovative work endeavors by different examination establishments and industry advocates like power organizations for growing new plans of strong state transformers. One of the new improvements in the strong state innovation was the mechanical association between significant transformer creator Hitachi ABB and Nanyang Technological University in Singapore in February 2021. With this organization, both Hitachi and NTU intend to send off business transformers in light of strong state innovation. In addition, the application capability of SSTs is wide, going from trains, light rail, EV quick chargers, PV inverters, and battery energy stockpiling frameworks. A portion of these are arising areas and are assessed to offer worthwhile open doors for market development during the estimated time frame.
Impact Of Covid-19
- The vast majority of the businesses have become non-functional during the pandemic. The lockdown forced in different nations hit the tasks of different power dispersion organizations; consequently, affecting their monetary wellbeing. This prompted a decrease in the interest for transformers.
- Environmentally friendly power age is the biggest application for strong state transformer, which is additionally impacted by and large during the pandemic. The pandemic contrarily impacted the interest for sustainable power age. Complete or fractional lockdown circumstance internationally has prompted inventory network disturbance, prompting delays in project development, straightforwardly affecting the appointing of inexhaustible power projects
- In the worldwide sun-based industry, over 40% of the inventory network is dependent on supply from China and other Southeast Asian nations. China is the known wellspring of this pandemic and the nation is the most impacted one as far as material stock and material vehicle because of COVID-19. The above factors have affected the development of the worldwide strong state transformer market.
Read More :
Radar sensors are a key technology that is rapidly evolving